How Self Storage Can Help Empty Nesters
Deciding how to downsize as an empty nester can be complicated with all of the difficult decisions you have to make. Should you re-imagine the space in your current home? Should you downsize to a smaller home? In this blog, we’ll explore some tips for downsizing that will help you better navigate your empty nester plans and how self storage with Go Store It can help.
Determine Your Long-Term Plans
With all of the newfound space in your home, you should start by thinking about what you want to do with it. You could reimagine the extra bedrooms into a home office space, a man cave, or that in-home yoga studio you always wanted. On the other hand, you might find that you have too much extra space and want to downsize into a smaller home overall. Either way, both paths are going to take some packing and moving.
How To Downsize
Navigating your empty nest home plans can be challenging when you don’t know where to start. Here are some tips for downsizing that will help you along the way:
- Create a realistic timeline. Before you start downsizing, it’s important to note that this process takes a long time. Create a timeline, giving yourself ample time to tackle each room thoroughly.
- Start by decluttering your home by room. You’ve probably been putting off organizing and decluttering tasks for a while now, so here’s your chance. Go through each of the rooms in your home and put your belongings into one of four categories: keep, throw away, store, and donate.
- Take inventory as you go. It’s easy to forget everything you have, so make a list of everything you own by room. This will help eliminate duplicates and will help you determine what you might need to get rid of.
- Have your children go through anything they left behind. If possible, allow your children to save and take anything they left before you throw or give them away.
- Make sure everything you decide to keep has a designated space. Take advantage of all storage space in your home to store your belongings. If you’ve found you don’t have enough space, consider renting a self storage unit.
Rent a Self Storage Unit With Go Store It
Whether you’re downsizing into a smaller home or just need more storage space, Go Store It has the solutions for your empty nester plans. At Go Store It, we understand the emotions that come with becoming an empty nester, and that’s why we go above and beyond to provide you with the resources you need to help make that transition easier. For downsizing help, find a Go Store It location near you to get started today!